Collection: Part 3

Reflection 3 v.2

ABSTRACT:   Parasite, a living entity considered as insignificant. Dregs to all living organism and depended by other yet infectious like a uncurable disease. We are in a metaphorical sense just like the existence of a stem cell organ, multiply in mass until construct into a overall systematic structure. 

Today I spent time sketching out designs of model that I wanted to work on for this project. There will be many changes to make along the way when I'm experimenting with different material, this is merely one of a conceptual sketch that I might use in the future.  Whilst I was trying to sketch some ideas for this project, I have researched some characteristics about parasite and their behaviours. Nematodes are parasitic worm known as orphiocordyceps that adapt inside a insect's body and reproduce into more nematode worms. The idea of attaching inside another host body fascinates me, I am interested in how they gradually transform from vulnerable being into part of another system but also have its own conscious. I was inspired at the unpredictable and grotesque structure that a parasite have. 

Scan 2018-3-13 18.50.16.jpg  Scan 2018-3-13 19.02.52.jpg

These are some of the doable sketches and designs I have come up with for this project. These are some of the set design idea of what my outcome to be. In the beginning when I am starting to develop this idea, I was not sure what I was going to make, but while I was sketching I realised to capture the idea of grotesque characteristics and transformation of a body structure is to create organic shapes out of normal organic objects to exaggerate the form. therefore I decided to design loosely and expressively without a definite shapes or structure, I wanted to experiment and explore that throughout my experimentation. This way of explaining parasite also made me think perhaps in a more archietectural way; parasitic forms is so common that we choose to ignore its existence. I wanted to capture the everyday existing parasite in our surrounding environment throughout collecting various kinds of materials and gradually develop the evolution pattern of parasite from my practice. Without a specific shapes to follow, this idea gave me a lot of freedom in ideas and the use of materials; there will be no restrictions. 

IMG_3439.JPG     IMG_3446.JPG

< Material: Pistachio shell >

I started off my experimentation by using material that I found in my nearby environment to see how i can interpret the idea of parasite in my everyday life. I begin by collecting some pistachio shells, I soon picked up some interest on this and started experimenting with them. By simply attaching the shell on top of each other, I have manage to construct all the shells together forming into series of small models that resembles like a worm-like creature. Although these models seems very intricate and looking precise to what I originally wanted to make, but these types of maquettes are still in a miniature scale, I have already considered on trying different materials that is more stable for building up structure like foam board. Therefore for the next experiment, I will try out construct a model using foam board to test out which one is the best choice to express the idea of parasite. Throughout this experiment, I have learnt the importance of different scales and perspectives, I believe in order to capture the forms of parasite, using geometric and organic materials can really capture the characteristics of a parasite and become realistic. I wish for further experimentations I can capture not only the form but also the different ways of that a parasitic structure transform or evolve. 

< Replicated > 

This is a continuation through the previous experiment, I was inspire by the shapes and the outline of the reconstructed pistachio shells. I have decided to trace out the outline onto foam board can cut off the shape and repeated this process many times to cretae this over-layering platform. The idea behind creating this model was inspired from a 3D printer; the idea of replicating the same shape using polyethylene and carbon fibers to  turn it into a three dimensional model. I think this is a great way of representing the idea of a parasite, which is known as a self replicating (as a way of reproduce) organism and evolve throughout habitat. Whilst I was making and tracing the outline of the shape, I realised that when I try to make bigger structure, the outline will become less distinct as each time I trace and gradually become more and more simplistic. 

Today I focused on experimenting more and test out different materials and developed into a different result from the previous series of model that I made. I used the similar technique of over layering same shapes on top each other, but only this time I replaced the material to eggshell. 

FullSizeRender.jpg.24  FullSizeRender 6.jpg.1

< black: 'dissolved' egg yolk in progress >

Apart from experiment with eggshell, I have also looked at the inner structure of a egg and conducted series of experiments on the yolk. From today's experiment, I have focused on observing the structure of the yolk and the way it gradually changes throughout time. In order to showcase this transition, I decided to test 2 egg yolks, by keeping a normal egg yolk and a broken egg yolk that I intentionally opened up to represent the transformation from a normal, ordinary cell structure undergoes changes into a different organism. After few hours I have realised that the broken yolk have begun to gradually fade and dissolve forming a clouded particles. I have accorded this transition using photograph to demonstrate the result of this experiment. Unfortunately this is only a temporary experiment because I have problems to keep the egg yolk in a perfectly static motion in the fluid state. This is a good opportunity for me to observe what a embryo like and its characteristics. 

For future experiment, I want to mould the structure of egg yolk still; that way I can capture its shape and work on other experiments that interprets the idea of parasite. 

< Resin experiment > 

Today I decided to try out some reisin to mould the egg yolk into place. Reisin is a transparent moulding substance that can be  

Today I went to the Francis Crick Science Institute at Euston where they show case some of the latest discoveries on different characteristics of microscopic infectious disease like cancer cells and stem cells etc. that is unseen from our naked eyes. There are many interesting researches bases on different types of illness throughout scientific observations using microscopes to let people get to know more about each different symptoms and how they behave. For me, its interesting to see these cellular structure transforms and adapt in certain conditions throughout time. 

Evolving Robots

After all these experiments that I have tried out I think now is a good time to try to think of different methods of setting up; and later on decide which is successful in terms of the design. Today I focused on creating the sketch design based from the experiment on eggshell. While i was trying to sketch up the design, I realised there are various approaches of setting up and each one of the brings a different effect to the idea of 'parasite'. 

In the beginning of this process, I wanted to create a set design to put out the series of experiment that I made. But later on as I started brainstorming the characteristics of a parasite and what it is I realised there are other ways to interpret. Another idea is to suspend the series of eggshell sculpture to the ceiling by attach it with transparent fishing wire. This will make the work look like as if they are floating and each one of the model becomes and resemble as micro-organic cellular structure enlarged.  The idea behind this way of setting up was to create a spatial design of what it is like to observe fragments of our multiplying cell organs floating inside a host body.

This is the sketch design for the pistachio shell experiment that I did from the past, today I have focused on designing the setting up process for this potential outcome. I have come up with 3 design ideas for this model. Firstly, I tried to sketch out what it might look like if it is attached from the ground by connecting it with wooden stick. While I was making this design, I realised I was relying on the suspending method that I had designed earlier on. Therefore as a result I wanted to try out something different. I have heard some suggestions from my tutor that to put the sculpture that I made into a a container as a way to capture the shapes and form of a embodied parasitic cell. I wanted to set my model on top of a watch glass for people to observe its structure. 

I was inspired by Francis Crick Science Institute’s method of observing cells throughout using microscopes in watch glass. I found this is a effective way to allow people to focus onto the work by concentrate on a small scale cell structure and set on top of a clean glass.